The 2017 Oscar-nominated documentary Edith+Eddie tells the story of Edith Hill and Eddie Harrison, who marry in their mid-90s and become known online as "America’s oldest interracial couple". More than an inspiring love story, theirs also is a cautionary and heart-breaking tale about the state of elder justice and guardianship in the US as Hill's daughters battle over her care and the wishes of the couple to remain together. More →
On August 15, 2012, the Investor Protection Trust (IPT) released the findings of a survey of experts. This survey, which the IPT conducted with the Investor Protection Institute (IPI), was in response to questions posted by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Click here to listen to the audio stream featuring Dr. Mark Lachs, NYC Elder Abuse Center Director, weighing in on the results during a press conference with 70 reporters.
- Investment fraud and financial exploitation targeting older Americans is a major problem and most seniors do not have the information they need to pick a financial advisor to help them protect their savings.
- Three financial exploitation problems experts identified:
- “Theft or diversion of funds or property by family members” (79%)
- “Theft or diversion of funds or property by caregivers” (49%)
- “Financial scams perpetrated by strangers” (47%)
by Cara Kenien, LMSW, MPA, Social Media Manager, NYCEAC