Family gatherings are more commonplace in December, and older adults without families can experience more acute social isolation. Since isolation is both a risk factor for and a consequence of elder abuse, we decided to ask you - our social media followers and colleagues - to commit to speaking with an older adult in December. Our hope was that, by sharing this campaign, we could support older adults and contribute towards the prevention of elder abuse during the 2017 holiday season. More →
On August 15, 2012, the Investor Protection Trust (IPT) released the findings of a survey of experts. This survey, which the IPT conducted with the Investor Protection Institute (IPI), was in response to questions posted by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Click here to listen to the audio stream featuring Dr. Mark Lachs, NYC Elder Abuse Center Director, weighing in on the results during a press conference with 70 reporters.
- Investment fraud and financial exploitation targeting older Americans is a major problem and most seniors do not have the information they need to pick a financial advisor to help them protect their savings.
- Three financial exploitation problems experts identified:
- “Theft or diversion of funds or property by family members” (79%)
- “Theft or diversion of funds or property by caregivers” (49%)
- “Financial scams perpetrated by strangers” (47%)
by Cara Kenien, LMSW, MPA, Social Media Manager, NYCEAC