Family gatherings are more commonplace in December, and older adults without families can experience more acute social isolation. Since isolation is both a risk factor for and a consequence of elder abuse, we decided to ask you - our social media followers and colleagues - to commit to speaking with an older adult in December. Our hope was that, by sharing this campaign, we could support older adults and contribute towards the prevention of elder abuse during the 2017 holiday season. More →
22nd Annual NAPSA Conference
18th Annual Conference New York State Office of Children and Family Services’ Adult Abuse Training Institute
STEMMING THE TIDE OF ELDER ABUSE: NATIONAL PERSPECTIVES
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
September 20-23, 2011
Hyatt Regency Hotel, Buffalo/Niagara Falls, New York
NAPSA, the only national organization representing the interests of Adult Protective Services (APS) programs, staff and the victims they serve, has partnered with New York State Office of Children and Family Services’ Adult Abuse Training Institute. This partnership will link the Adult Abuse Training Institute to NAPSA’s annual conference in 2011. This joint learning event will provide outstanding training opportunities for APS line staff and administrators, law enforcement officials, prosecutors, court personnel, service provider agencies, health care professionals, long-term care advocates, and investigators. Domestic violence and sexual assault advocates and victim/witness staff are also encouraged to attend.
Conference Presented by:
- National Adult Protective Services Association (NAPSA)
- New York State Office of Children and Family Services’ Adult Abuse Training Institute (AATI)
- The NYS Office of Children and Family Services’ Adult Abuse Training Institute (AATI)
- The National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (NCPEA)
- The Department of Justice Office of Victims of Crime Training and Technical Assistance Center (tentative)
- The Archstone Foundation (tentative)
- Buffalo-Niagara Convention and Visitors’ Bureau
Please note: For the 2011 NAPSA-AATI Conference Call for Submissions, we are focusing on increasing the number of presentations concerning aging and sexuality, self-neglect, interviewing skills, and outcome measures. We are requesting only a limited number of proposal submissions for the 2011 conference. Thank you!
Suggested Presentation Topics:
The following list of topics and groupings is indicative and not restrictive.
·Proposals shall be submitted on-line: – http://apsnetwork.org/machform/view.php?id=2
- Due to the extremely high costs of A/V equipment rental, the conference will only be able to provide an LCD Projector and white screen. Presenters must bring their own laptops. VCR/DVD players will be available for use in 3hr sessions or longer and must be requested when proposal is submitted.
- A/V and electrical access requests made on-site cannot be honored.
- NAPSA has, as of the date of this call for submissions, no funding for speakers’ expenses. If ou cannot present without financial assistance please indicate that on your submission.
Deadline for Submission: Wednesday,May 18, 2011
Acceptance Notification:Thursday, June 16, 2011
- Primary presenter will be emailed a Notification of Proposal Acceptance.
- Presenter must send Confirmation of Participation no later than Thursday June 30, 2011.
- Confirmed presenters will be expected, unless an exception is requested and approved, to provide their presentation slides and handout materials to the conference organizers by July 29, 2011 to be copied onto a CD and distributed to conference attendees.
- NAPSA is going green! In an effort to minimize printed handouts, NAPSA & New York State request that speakers submit as few handouts as possible and consider no printed handouts for their session.
- Presenters are requested to provide written consent to use their workshop materials and to post them on the NAPSA website.
- Primary presenter is responsible for notifying and confirming co-presenters.
- Primary presenter is responsible for notifying co-presenter(s) of any scheduling changes or alterations to the schedule.
- Primary presenter is responsible for notifying NAPSA-AATI of any changes in presenters or changes to the presentation by August 15, 2011.
- All presenters MUST REGISTER for the conference.
- All presenters must be pre-approved by NAPSA-AATI before speaking at the conference.
Proposal Review and Selection Criteria
Immediately following the submission deadline, all proposals will undergo a review process by teams made up of NAPSA and AATI representatives. Proposals will be evaluated and selected based on their relevance to the conference theme and topic emphasis. Proposals that demonstrate engaging format, style, clarity, creativity, originality and interest to the specified target audience are desired.
Call for Exhibitors
We welcome all appropriate sponsors and exhibitors, including those selling merchandise or disseminating information, and organizations advertising employment and training opportunities. Space is limited and is assigned on a first come, first served basis. If you are interested in exhibiting at the 22thAnnual National Adult Protective Services Association Conference from September 20 – 23, 2011, please contact: Vendors@apsnetwork.org.
You have received this information because we believed that it may be of interest to you. Please feel free to forward to others whom you think would be interested and appropriate to present at this conference.