Date(s) - 09/05/2018
2:00 pm - 3:15 pm
Category(ies) No Categories
Sexual Abuse in Nursing Homes: What You Need to Know
When: Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Time: 2:00 – 3:15 PM ET
Join this webinar to learn about sexual abuse in nursing homes. Presenters will discuss a variety of topics to help you recognize the signs of sexual abuse and immediately respond to it.
We will examine the full scope of sexual abuse in nursing homes, including: (1) its prevalence, (2) the physical and social signs of sexual abuse, (3) who is most at risk, and (4) who the perpetrators are. In addition, you will learn the protections the federal nursing home rule provides for nursing home residents against this abuse and how to respond to the needs of victims. Finally, we will equip you with concrete knowledge on how ombudsmen can advocate for nursing home residents who are victims of this type of abuse, including hearing from a special presenter on the ombudsman role in the Washington Alliance to End Sexual Violence in Long-Term Care.
- Julie Schoen, J.D., Deputy Director, National Center on Elder Abuse, Keck School of Medicine (USC)
- Pamela Teaster, Director, Center for Gerontology (Virginia Tech)
- Alisha Lineswala, J.D., Public Policy & Program Specialist, National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care
- Amity Overall-Laib, Director, National Ombudsman Resource Center
- Vicki Elting, Assistant State Long-Term Care Ombudsman, Washington State Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
- Lori Smetanka, J.D., Executive Director, National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care