Date(s) - 07/10/2018
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Category(ies) No Categories
Overview of Guardianship and Alternatives to Guardianship
When: Tuesday, July 10th, 2018 at 11:00 a.m. PT / 2:00 p.m. ET.
Lawyers working with older adults are often confronted with questions about guardianship, other types of agents, and alternative forms of decision-making. This webinar will help lawyers understand a guardian’s responsibility and authority, as well as the roles of other agents, like default health care surrogates, health care agents, representative payees, joint account holders, and authorized signers. The presenters will explain how guardianship and its alternatives are created and terminated, and the responsibilities of individuals serving in different decision-making roles.
Participants in this webinar will:
- Be able to describe three differences between power of attorney and a guardianship or conservatorship;
- Know what documents to review to see if a person claiming legal authority has that authority;
- Be able to explain how voluntary planning can be modified or revoked; and
- Understand the fundamental elements of guardianship or conservatorship.
Closed captioning will be available on this webcast. A link with access to the captions will be shared through GoToWebinar’s chat box shortly before the webcast start time.
- David Godfrey, Senior Attorney, American Bar Association Commission on Law and Aging
NOTE: This training will be presented in a WEBCAST format to accommodate more participants. Due to the high volume of participants, computer audio will be the only option to listen to the presentation. No telephone call-in number will be provided. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.