If we don’t die first, we will all grow old. We should all feel safe in this eventuality. But our society encourages people to sink into the shadows as they grow old – it creates vulnerability where reverence should reside. Rather than celebrating age, our society tries to hide our elders. Acts of elder abuse, neglect and financial exploitation are wrong, but these great injustices are magnified when already invisible people experience them. Ending the injustice of elder maltreatment is our reason for being.
NYC Elder Abuse Center aims to prevent abuse, assist people 60 and over who are abused or at risk of abuse, as well as their family members, friends and neighbors, and improve how professionals, organizations and systems respond to their needs. We achieve this through our core services:
NYCEAC’s Core Services
- Develop innovative solutions to elder abuse, neglect and exploitation.
- Provide direct services to those utilizing our Elder Abuse Helpline.
- Coordinate and facilitate enhanced multidisciplinary teams (EMDTs).
- Provide technical assistance and training to EMDTs locally, statewide and nationally.
- Provide case consultations to professionals assisting victims of elder abuse.
- Access hard-to-find specialists for EMDTs and case consultations.
- Raise awareness through 1:1 conversations, workshops, and in-service trainings.
- Engage professionals and others through social media vehicles and special events.
- Impact policy through engaging stakeholders and coordinating efforts in partnership with advocates in the elder justice network.
We envision a world where we can all safely grow old together.